I, like most guys, dread having to hang lights on the house each year. But with my kids getting more and more into it each year, I’d break my back falling off the roof just to see them smile. This year was no exception, except I didn’t have to get on the roof. I had a simple project in mind, a fun art project everyone could join in on. I was going to make a Santa Claus plywood cutout for the yard. Simple right? Though Santa spawned into Rudolph and frosty the snowman as well. A quick trip to home depot for the plywood, a projector, and some left over paint from past projects. All and all about a 40.00 dollar project….. and endless “back breaking” hours. Like I said, I’d do anything to see these kids smile! Heres how I did it.
Went to home depot to buy a sheet of plywood. Turns out I went on “buy a sheet of plywood and get a 3 year old for free” day.
Once back to the shop I printed some transparencies and projected them onto the wood. Traced the images and cut them out with a jig saw.
Next was the easy part, though the most time consuming of them all…. painting. I just used random paints around the house from past projects and mixed the colors together to get what I needed. Turns out the three year old I got with the sheet of plywood came in pretty handy!
Once the kids went to sleep I fixed all the “coloring outside of the lines.”
It reminded me of my honeymoon. My wife and I bought some ceramic pottery that you could paint yourself, then they would fire it overnight and you would get it the next day. Well, both my parrot and her vase looked pretty good until we got about six or seven coronas into it and by the time we turned them in they both looked like 3rd grade art projects. Though when we went back the next day to pick them up after they had been fired in the kiln they looked like works of art. Apparently the resort we were staying at thought it was a good idea to have someone totally fix all your screw ups before they fired it and when we got them back they were flawless. Well done mexican resort…..well done.
Once everything was dry and “fixed” I propped them up in the back yard and soaked them in polyurethane. Hey, theres too many man hours in these things to only last one season. I’m using these for years to come!
Everything is dry and in it’s place. A little landscape lighting to finish it off and there you have it.